If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, can that include cake? I tend to save any apple recipes for the fall. Apple picking just sounds like a very fall-ish thing to do. But this recipe sounded so good I just couldn’t wait until then! Plus adding ice cream on top makes it summery right?
I loved how this cake turned out! It reminds me of an apple pie but in cake form. Perfect for the 4th of July, which is right around the corner. And the caramel sauce adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the cake.
If you happen to try out this recipe, or any of the recipes from my blog, let me know! Tag me on instagram @the.vintagebaker or use the hashtag #thevintagebaker.
Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 and 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 to 6 cups chopped apples (I used Gala)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a 9×13 pan, or line with parchment, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, beat butter with a mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed until just combined.
- Fold in apples and walnuts. Batter will be thick. Spread into pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 45 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in white sugar, brown sugar, and whipping cream.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm with cake.
Serve cake with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream for a true apple pie taste!