Somehow I always end up with leftover bananas. I can only eat banana bread so many times. So I went in search of something else to make. And I found this recipe, courtesy of one of my favorite baking cookbooks: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. I originally bought it because everyone claimed they had the “best brownie recipe ever!” And while I really like those brownies, they have so many other recipes that shouldn’t be overlooked.
I love using espresso powder in recipes, so this one is an instant keeper for me. Espresso powder doesn’t so much add a coffee flavor as it enhances chocolate in recipes. So if coffee flavored recipes scare you, don’t worry! You should still try these 😉
Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 and 1/2 cups mashed bananas
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350*F. Line muffin pan with liners, or spray with cooking spray.
2) In a medium bowl, stir together bananas, sugars, butter, milk, and egg.
3) In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
4) Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5) Fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
6) Move muffin pans to a cooling rack and let cool 15 minutes. Remove muffins from the pan and let them finish cooling on the cooling rack.