Living in the desert during the summer will make you wish for cooler days. After weeks of 100+ temperatures, I’m dreaming about fall. For some reason, I usually bake a lot of breads during that time. Banana, pumpkin, apple – you name it!
This banana bread is one of my favorites and worth cooking even if it’s hot outside! I mean, what else is there to do with those “past their prime” bananas? So regardless of whether you’re suffering through these hot temperatures, or living in a cooler climate, turn on that oven and pretend it’s fall!
Walnut and Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup sour cream or 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts (plus more for the top)
1/2-3/4 cup chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 355*F. Butter and flour a loaf pan, or line with parchment paper.
2) Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in a mixing bowl
3) Combine butter, sugar, and eggs in another bowl. Mix until combined.
4) Add the mashed banana and sour cream (or buttermilk) to the butter mixture.
5) Add in vanilla extract
6) Slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture, adding about 1/4 cup at a time. Stir until combined.
7) Fold in nuts and chocolate chips.
8) Pour batter in loaf pan. Top with more walnuts if desired.
9) Bake for 1 hour.