Quick brownies that have a great butterscotch flavor!
Butterscotch is one of those flavors people either seem to like or not like. I fall into the like category. These are really simple brownies that have crisp edges and a soft middle.
Butterscotch is formed from butter and brown sugar, which is the base for these brownies. Although the recipe didn’t call for any chocolate, I added a bit to the top.
1/4 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 350*F.
2) Melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat.
3) Stir in brown sugar until blended. Cool.
4) Stir in egg. (Make sure the brown sugar mixture is cooled all the way
or the egg will scramble.)
5) In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
6) Add the flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture.
7) Add vanilla and walnuts.
8) Spread into a greased 8×8 pan (or use parchment paper)
9) Bake 20-25 minutes. Brownies will appear soft when removed from oven.